The Minnesota Vikings and the University of Minnesota reached agreement on a Facility Use Agreement allowing Vikings to use the TCF Bank Stadium during the construction of the team’s new stadium.
The details of the agreement were released on Thursday.
As part of the agreement, the Vikings will pay to install a field heating element and a new turf at TCF Bank Stadium. The team may also pay to install new temporary seating at the western end zone plaza of the stadium.
The Facility Use Agreement stipulates the following:
Lease Duration/Scheduling Restrictions
The Vikings are expected to play at TCF Bank Stadium for the 2014 and 2015 seasons, but the agreement allows for use through the 2017 season with proper notification.
- A standard NFL season includes 10 football games (two preseason and eight regular season games), plus any home playoff games.
- TCF Bank Stadium will be available for Sunday games as well as for Saturday games when there is not a conflict with a scheduled Gopher football home game. The Vikings may play one weeknight game per season when University classes are not in session and on a date approved by the University.
- The Vikings will work with the NFL to minimize conflicts with the University’s academic calendar, intercollegiate athletic activities and other campus events.
Along with reimbursing the University for all Vikings game day expenses, the team will provide $3 million annually in compensation:
- $250,000 rent per game.
- $50,000 share of concessions, advertising and sponsorship revenue per game.
Certain improvements to TCF Bank Stadium are necessary for winter stadium operation and to meet specific NFL mandates, including:
- Installation of new turf and an appropriate heating element for the playing surface to be determined by Vikings and University officials.
- Installation of heat trace pipe to ensure cold weather plumbing functionality.
- Potential installation of additional temporary seating in the western end zone plaza, subject to approval by the University’s building code division (number of seats yet to be determined by Vikings and University officials).
- Any necessary modification of existing video platform to meet NFL broadcast requirements.
- Installation of additional insulation in various locations around TCF Bank Stadium.
- Build-out storage space within TCF Bank Stadium.
Alcohol sales and consumption will be allowed in TCF Bank Stadium on Vikings game days, subject to Board of Regents policies and restrictions.
Tailgating will be allowed in parking lots designated by the University under the same rules in effect for University football game days.